Conditional inclusion of Jquery UI Libraries
|Reported by:||coldtrick||Owned by:|
|Priority:||normal||Milestone:||Near Term Future Release|
|Severity:||major||Keywords:||jquery, performance, ui|
A lot has been spoken on trac about the jquery ui libraries. I'm opening a new ticket because i have a proposal for a 'smart' way to include all jquery functionality (or none).
- Elgg Core comes with a custom (read: not complete) jquery ui library
- Plugins come with their own extra jquery ui functionality (like datepicker, accordion), this results in conflicts with other plugins using this functionality, and isn't really forward compatible (new version of jquery ui probably breaks older libraries). Also loading twice (or more times) the same library leads to unexpected results.
- Some sites need no jquery ui functionality, some need all! Current jquery ui (1.7.2) is in total 188k (minimized) and when you only need the core 8k
Let plugins tell (in init) which functionality of the jquery library they need (components, widgets, effects).
Make a dynamic jquery include that only includes functionality that plugins have registered for.
- jquery library will only contain code you gonna use on your site
- plugins will be better forward compatible
Change History (9)
comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by brettp
- Keywords performance, ui added; performance removed
- Priority changed from minor to major
comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by brettp
- Summary changed from Jquery UI Libraries to Conditional inclusion of Jquery UI Libraries
comment:6 Changed 3 years ago by brettp
- Milestone changed from Elgg 1.8 to Elgg 1.9
- Priority changed from high to normal
comment:7 Changed 23 months ago by ewinslow
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from new to closed
comment:8 Changed 20 months ago by cash
- Resolution fixed deleted
- Status changed from closed to reopened